Monday 18 November 2013

OUGD504: Design Production - Design for Print GFSmith Visit

Today we had a visit from GFSmith who are major paper suppliers in the UK. The talk was very interesting and opened up many different ways to use paper in our designs. I particularly liked the design which was bound using paper only.

Notes from the seminar:
  • Independent British company
  • 60% of the stock is from the UK
  • They hand made 1,000,000 envelopes per year
  • We would no buy paper direct from them, we would get the printer to order it in
  • Colorplan - flagship ranges (50 shades, 8 weights and 25 embossing textures)
  • Studios which have worked with GFSmith - Made Thought, Studio Makgill
I found the seminar very interesting and also pretty mind blowing. The examples which were brought along to the session sparked lots of inspiration and opened up many different avenues for me to go down with my print book. I particularly liked the 'yellow box' which was a piece of branding for GFSmith. I liked the different booklets and the size of each of them, I think it would be really interesting for me to look into something like this for my book rather than printing one 30 page book. I could split them up into smaller sections which would allow the user to select one of the subjects which they want to look into. I want to explore this idea because I think it will boost my concept and make it much more unique.






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment