Tuesday 19 November 2013

OUGD504: Design Production - Design for Web London Underground Map Design

Harry Beck's tube map revolutionised the world of graphic design and specifically information graphics and way finding. I have been looking over the past few months at design which is inspired by the Harry Beck tube map and I have found that many other tube systems have used the design as a template for their own way finding. There are also some artists and designers who have taken inspiration from the tube map design. I personally love the tube map design and the functionality of the simple and clean lines. I have added images of the work I have found interesting over the time I have been looking into this subject. 


I found this brain very interesting, the fact that Harry Beck's concept has been altered to represent something so vital as a brain is very interesting and is also a credit to the design itself. I think that the different coloured lines in this brain would be great to educate people about their own brain. 

The brain concept was an advertisement by HSBC. 







The Manhattan tube map is said to be greatly inspired by Harry Beck's tube map. Though the layout is significantly different due to geographical location there is a clear link to Harry Beck's design. This design is an adaptation of the Manhattan tube map which has been produced in different colours to act as a piece of design rather than something which people will use. 



No comments:

Post a Comment