Monday 1 October 2012

Alphabet Soup...

As part of our summer brief we had to collect a range of different examples of each letter form in the alphabet. From this we had to categorise them and lay them out on the table.



In our group we chose to put our letters into colour groups.



For our first module brief our task was to design 10 individual letter forms from existing letter forms using a word we selected from the randomiser.


My word is : POP


To start my task I first began by looking up the definition of the word Pop.



Pop definition














Pop Definition 2


I then brainstormed lots of different ideas of what I could base my letter forms on.




  • Pop art

One of my initial thoughts when I picked my word from the randomiser was Pop Art. During my PPP session one member of my blog group chose to show some of Roy Lichenstien's work for her 10 examples. With this idea fresh in my mind it was one of my first ideas. I think the idea of using pop art could be really quirky and cool but one of the main cons of using pop art in this particular brief is that I am restricted on the colours I am allowed to use. 

  • Pop culture
I came across pop culture during my initial research into the definition of the word pop. For one of my AS projects I used an artist called Sarah Beetson who's work reflects the idea of pop culture. If I was to use this version of the word 'pop' I would probably use the collaging techniques. This could pose some problems with the amount of time I have to create each letter form  I do however like the idea of creating badges for each letter. Though I do feel that it would be hard to identify the meaning of my word. 



  • Popcorn



Popcorn could be a really cute way to produce my letter forms as they would look really cool in black and white. To produce letter forms in this style would be hard as I am not the most confident drawer and it may be difficult for other people to identify what I am trying to communicate.





                                  pop pop pop

  • Pop (Champagne bottle)


  • Pop (Chewing gum)

I had the idea of using chewing gum popping to communicate my letterforms. I sketched out a lot of ideas with this design but I found that my focus was more on the illustration in the background rather than the letterform itself. 


  • Pop (Bubble)



When I thought of pop one of my first thoughts was the actual 

  • Popsicles
National Grape Popsicle Day




  • Pop (Balloon)

When it came time to choose an existing typeface to adapt I chose Helvetica as I like the simplicity and I thought it could be cool to try and adapt. I decided to do lower case letter forms rather than upper case as I find them more appealing and softer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment