Thursday 24 October 2013

OUGD504: Design Production - Design For Print Activity Book Research


As I know I want to create an activity book about print design I have been looking into different activity books which are already out there for my target audience.

642 Things to Draw







I found this book on Urban Outfitters website. I think the freedom which the book allows the audience to have makes it appealing. I will have to think about this when designing my book.

Cara Delevigne Colouring Book






Another book which I found on the Urban Outfitters website is this colouring book for fans of Cara Delevigne. This twist on the colouring book targets a specific audience which is very similar to my intended audience. When it comes time for me to choose which activities I want to include I will have to look into colouring in more detail, it could be a really good way to break up lots of information. 

Friends Listography




Making my book a group effort could be a better way to get people to engage with the information. A kind of testing book might make people take in more facts and figures. This could also be a limitation as one person might do more of the work themselves and the other would not learn as much. There is also the problem that one person might have the book for a longer time, this idea might lend itself to an app.

Face a Day: Doodle your mood




Making the book more personal to each different person who will read it would be a great way to engage with people. This book about doodling your mood is very clever as it will relate to different people in different ways. 

Wreck This Journal





Wreck this Journal is a really popular activity book aimed at young people. I think that the thrill of breaking the rules and drawing inside a book makes it very appealing. People are brought up knowing that drawing inside books is wrong so this is breaking the norm and the rules. I could produce something like this and tempt my audience with the language I will use. 


The language which Keri Smith uses is quite serious and formal. She very cleverly makes her audience think about the task but in a creative way. I think it would be great to adopt this style and write my book in similar language. 

Flatmates handbook



























I found this handbook on Loop and I think the design and tone of voice is perfect for my target audience. I have looked at activity books and manuals separately but this book merges the two together. I would still like to produce two books because I think it will engage with the audience more but this could be a great reference for both. I wanted to create quite a professional looking manual about print but after looking at this I think it would link more with the activity book if I were to produce something like this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment