Thursday 2 May 2013

OUGD406 - Speaking from Experience : Further Research

Equipment illustrations

I want to create a digital desk which illustrates all of the equipment which the first years will need to have everyday. I began to research this after finding a digital survival kit during my initial research stage.



I really like these pencil illustrations, they are a fun way of illustrating something which is quite a boring object. The style I have in mind for my illustrations is something along these lines or something which is really stripped back and simplistic. I could use a style quite similar to this throughout my pack as I think it will showcase the creative range of the course. 




Another option I have is to produce something which is slightly more hand rendered than digital. I found these really cute illustrations which could work really well for the concept, I think they work well for larger objects as there is not much detail within each but for the objects I wish to convey it might be difficult to include all of the intricate details I hope for. 



A way for me to include the detail whilst also keeping my drawings hand rendered I could draw them completely by hand. Zoe More O'Ferrall is an illustrator who I admire hugely. I think her attention to detail in her rough little illustrations is really interesting and skillful. Though I love this kind of illustration I do not think it matches the tone of voice I hope for. 




Another style I have in mind is almost information graphic style. I like these illustrations because they are so simple which I think makes them very memorable and unique. I think I would prefer to produce something in this style as it reflects my personal tastes and interests. 



My preferred style is something like this which I found on Designspiration I like the digital aspect to these illustrations and think tat the detail is really interesting and cleverly done. 

Stickers

I want to create a set of stickers which will be helpful for students within crits and when constructing mock-ups etc. I found a really cool example of stickers which are already in the industry. 



These stickers come from a designers survival kit which I found on Behance. I think they are really useful and handy to have within a crit. I think I would change the language as the students might not need stickers about web design but these could be updated and altered in the future. 

Folder/Box concept

Though I plan on producing a desk type base I wanted to research into folders and boxes as a back as I have reservations about the desk idea. 



I think a folder would be much more efficient to carry around rather than a desk which cannot really be moved. I have looked into really simple folders as I think they are best suited to my project. I like this simple folder and how there is a slight amount of text included on the flap. This could be quite nice to put on the side of my folder and I would hope that it would make my kit more welcoming. 



I could produce something which is a lot more technical and organised. I like this folder with organising compartments, this would be great for the students to use alongside the survival kit. I think if I was given something like this I would use it all of the time to keep paperwork and drawings in. Though I like this concept it would require a higher level of skill and stock to produce. I also feel that the content of my kit would be overpowered by the large folder. 



Alternatively I could produce something completely different which could also be used along with the kit. A stand alone carrier would be better for home storage rather than for the students to carry around with them but I think that they would choose a separate piece of the kit for a different day. I like the concept of this but I would have to make it quite small for my kit not to look too small inside. 




I really like the idea of creating a cross between an envelope and a folder and think it could be really effective and look interesting. I would like to experiment with this idea and make my own alterations to cater perfectly for my kit. 



My initial idea before I changed my idea to printed kit was to produce a box which would contain the content. I could still do this though it would have to be quite small and thin so to not look like my work was lost inside it.  I like the idea of printing onto the box and also putting a belly band around it with the information about the content printed onto it. 

Flashcards

I am designing a set of flashcards which will answer some of the burning questions which the first years might have. The design of them will be simple and have some resemblance to a deck of playing cards. When researching this I came across the following pieces of design.



I found this deck of cards on Designspiration. I really like the effect of opacity which has been applied to this design. I would like to design something like this as I think it adds a aspect of fun to the card idea. I could possibly design a whole set of flashcards which can also be used as a deck of playing cards. I think doing this would be quite tricky as I may find that I will be repeating myself with the content. 



Like with most decks of cards the reverse is usually a pattern of some kind. I want to make mine very relevant to my topic. I think black line illustrations of some of the equipment which will be used would look very effective. I will have to experiment with this idea as it may look too cluttered and unfitting with the front of the cards.



Mac Tips 

I want to create a small version of mac computer which contains some information about software and shortcuts. I want it look very similar to a mac and open up like macbook computer. 


I found this business card idea which is going to be my main inspiration for my mac tips leaflet. I think doing this would help me to relate to the students. 












No comments:

Post a Comment