Sunday 5 May 2013

OUGD401 : From Theory to Practice : Design Development

I am producing my publication on Alfred Hitchcock. I want to produce a timeline illustrating Hitchcock's life including both the personal and professional aspects.


Thumbnail ideas 


I aim to produce my publication as a timeline of Hitchcock's life. I would like to make it as interactive as possible in order for it to stand out among the many other publications about Hitchcock's life. 
In order to do this I want to cut into the publication once it is printed and have small slots where other printed material can be stored.



One idea I have had is to create my publication as a timeline of Hitchcock's life. My initial idea does match this idea but not in the literal sense. I have drawn out this idea and found that it could be very interesting. I would produce it as a concertina book which can be folded out to reveal the whole timeline. I think this idea could be very successful but that it would be a very brief overview and would not show the in depth study I am expected to show.



This idea would be mainly image based with small amounts of body copy to not be too over crowded and complicated.

Improved timeline book layout ideas...


I like the idea of having a timeline of Hitchcock's career within my book but I feel that I could not display the amount of information I wish with this concept. I propose to produce a concertina timeline which slots into the book and can be pulled out, this would help me to merge the two ideas together and successfully add an interactive aspect to my publication.







Initial Ideas...


I brainstormed the first things that came to mind when I thought about Hitchcock. I wanted to include all of these options within my publication in some way. 


Brainstorming ideas for the format of my publication.  I like the idea of presenting my publication within a viewing glass or a set of glasses. I think I like this because it is a really interactive way of illustrating Hitchcock's personality and behaviour. 


Possible topics to cover in my publication.


My initial idea was to create a publication which details the life of Alfred Hitchcock and then have a simple timeline which pulls out of the back of the book and gives the same information in a different format. The idea behind this is that the audience can look at the timeline and be told which page of the publication they need to look at if they wish for more information. 

Peep hole concept.....



Mock ups with peep hole...






After producing rough mock ups of the peep hole concept I think the circular peep hole is the most effective. This is going to be hard to cut out of my paper without a circle cutter. I will be very nervous to do this as I will only have one final outcome to cut into, unless I print it multiple times. 


Final design inspiration...

I found this publication based on cinema on behance. I used it as my main inspiration for my final publication as I wanted to merge my two design ideas of a timeline and a booklet. I really like the aesthetic of the design and think the colours work really well alongside the black and white images. 




Size of my publication...

I want to produce something which is handy and not too bulky and big. As a student I know how difficult it is to carry around a huge book which does not fit into my bag. I plan on making my booklet fit onto an A4 document and possibly be pocket sized.


This is an image of the size of my publication on an a4 sheet of paper. 

Layout...

When thinking about my publication in more detail I think the target audience would appreciate a timeline within a detailed booklet. I am, therefore going to merge my ideas together and hopefully reach a happy medium between the both.  The layout of my booklet will be very simple and clear, the date will be situated in one of the four corners with a short description either above or underneath it, this will then be accompanied by an image which goes with the fact. This will form the bulk of my book though I will elaborate more into some aspects of his life which my target audience might want more information about.


Stock..

The stock of my book is a hard thing to decide on. I want to produce it on stock which is thick enough for double sided printing but I don't want it to be too thick to close nicely. I chose 2 off white stocks and one red stock to experiment with.  The antique white paper would be the best option for double sided printing as it is thick and would not show through the reverse side but I think printing the thickness of my publication would make it very difficult to close. Bulky newsprint is my preferred paper as I think it feels really expensive and the print quality is very good. The issue I have with this stock is that it is not just thick enough for double sided printing. I do however wish to use it as I think it is best suited for my publication.  Red stock is a bit of a gamble for me as I think it would work for some aspects but not for the whole publication. I tried this out for my presentation with the Hitchcock's blondes but it did not work the way I had hoped. 

In the end I have chosen to go with the bulky newsprint as it suits a publication best. 


Antique White, Pearl Grey, Red, Bulky Newsprint


Fonts...

After some deliberation and trail and error experiments with font I have decided on the three which I will use throughout my book.


Bebas : Headings and titles
Helvetica - body copy
Basic title font - quotes and subheadings


Colour...

I will have to include multiple colours throughout my publication as the movie posters are all in colour. Besides this I plan on using only two colours. Black and magenta. I have chosen these colours because the images of Hitchcock are primarily in black and white which I personally prefer. I want to include a colour within the book and initially thought that red would be best suited. This has been done many times and is a colour which would probably be most associated with Hitchcock due to the connotations of the colour. I wanted to try a colour which was close to red but also completely different. I had used magenta in a previous project and found that it looked really professional when printed. 


Marking up every page on illustrator...

Before jumping into the final design I wanted to draw out a few of the pages on Illustrator so I would have a clear idea of how the publication would look. 


Front page


Introduction


Childhood



Quote


Timeline


Timeline


Timeline


Alma Reville

I am unsure about how many pages I will have as I have some quotes which I am unsure about. From drawing out these examples I can get a clear understanding of the ideas in my head. I am now going to start designing my book.

Designing...

I have started to design my publication at the moment it is going very well. I have kept my design extremely similar to my drawings with barely any alterations. Before designing my book I chose only 7 of Hitchcock's blondes to put inside my book. Now that I have reached the point in the publication where I have to upload these images I am thinking that I need to include all of the actresses which worked with Hitchcock. This means that I will have to use google images as the edited versions would be too small and therefore ineligible. I am quite positive about this change as it allows the audience to see what the women look/looked like within the films, this way they can look out for them when they are watching the film.


I tried to find images which were from the films to make it easier to identify the women. 



Final Digital Design..






























Binding...


I decided that I wanted to saddle stitch my booklet which was something I had never done before. I experimented with it a few times and found it quite easy to do so went ahead and bound my final book. The binding is not the best as the booklet did not print properly on my printer at home, I also did not leave enough room at the edge of my booklet to cut it down to size once bound. I did the best I could with this mistake and my book does not look great but is still functional. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment