Sunday 14 April 2013

OUGD401 : Exploring Fonts

I want to capture Alfred Hitchcock's voice within my font choice throughout my publication. I have watched his TV interviews and have some idea of how he spoke when in public. I feel that his voice would warrant a font from the horror genre as he speaks quite slowly with suspense hanging on his every word. I find his voice quite chilling and scary which matches his personality perfectly. 

I looked into which fonts were being used within design based around Hitchcock. I was intially surprised by the results of this search as I expected almost the complete opposite. 

Sans Serif - This light sans serif font was not what I expected as it seems quite low key and simple which would not usually be associated with Alfred Hitchcock. I do like light fonts which means that I could experiment with them within my publication. 


Typewriter font is a font I expected to see as it is used within the film industry, I do not want to use a typewriter font as I feel it is an easy option and would also not be in keeping with my publication style. 


These fonts are probably the closest to the fonts which I have in mind for my publication, Bebas. I think the boldness of this font make it really powerful though I would use uppercase the whole way through. 


This font is very interesting but I think it would need to be in the different point sizes to make it look as effective as it is. I do not really want to use different point sizes within my publication as I plan on making it quite small and therefore it could look quite cluttered. 

I like the concept of using a sans serif font on the film board as is improves the legibility of the scene information and could also be a great way to display the information on my page. 

This font was inspired by Saul Bass who worked with Hitchcock on his Vertigo poster. I think using this font would be expected and I do not really want to produce something which is typically Hitchcock styled as it has been done many times before. 



When listening to Hitchcock during interviews I would think that a rough sketchy font would be the most fitting to go along with his voice. 




Decibel..

I think this sketchy black line font would work very well for some aspects of my publication such as quotes and headings, it would not work for body copy as it is too detailed. 






Artifact





Black Spiral









No comments:

Post a Comment