Tuesday 12 February 2013

OUGD406 - Secret 7 : Jessie Ware

One of the seven artists we have to chose from is Brit nominee Jessie Ware. Jessie is fairly new to the British music industry but has been very successful over the past 2 years. I carried out a simple google search and watched a some of her music videos. One thing I noticed was that Jessie has a very specific style when it comes to jewellery. It is clear that she likes statement earrings and necklaces. I have gathered some images of her jewellery below.




Gold hoops seem to be  favourite of Jessie's. The width of her hoops differ but most of her earrings are gold.  This could mean that Gold would be a good colour to focus on within my design. I would like to experiment with foiling but as this brief is to be submitted as a digital piece of work it would not be appropriate. 








Another favourite style of hers is black and white/cream. This links to my preferred style of designing also which makes this brief link with my personal style. I mostly like to edit my photos into black and white which is something Jessie has done but I would not be able to do this as I do not have access to take photographs of her. 




Jessie's overall styling is very simple and natural. She favours 60's hairstyles and profile images of her self. Some of the ideas I have had involve drawing a silhouette of Jessie's headshot and filling it with a geometric pattern made up of her earrings. 

I have drawn some of her earrings out by hand which are very rough sketches and plan to recreate these  on illustrator in order to experiment further. 

Interview with Jessie Ware on Net-A-Porter

THE VOICE:
JESSIE WARE
Starting out providing the soulful vocals that added depth to some of 2011’s most popular underground electronic tracks –Jessie Ware has gone from supporting act to leading lady. Her album (released in August) is one of the most eagerly anticipated of the year.
Describe your sound? 
Romantic, feminine, electronic in parts, and hopefully soulful.
Style Icon? 
My stylist and I are obsessed with Elizabeth Taylor. She’s really feminine and glamorous – that’s always a winner. Also Sophia Loren’s is so sexy – I definitely tried to channel her in the first two videos.
First record you ever bought?
It was Take That – I was obsessed with them. Maybe like Everything Changes or Take That and Party. I was in love with Robbie Williams when I was little. I cried at one of his concerts when I was about thirteen. I think I fancy Gary Barlow more now.
Last record?
Melody Gardot, Beautiful.
Ultimate Music Icon?
Sade. She’s sophisticate and she doesn’t throw herself at you. You can listen to her songs in a club, and then there are her forlorn songs. And she has amazing style she’s a real class act.
Whose wardrobe would you raid?
I’m going to say Bianca Jagger. Because like in my last video I wore this white blazer, and felt really Bianca in it. I love blazers –they make me feel strong and because I’m still really nervous about being on stage, somehow tailoring makes me feel more powerful.
Favorite designers? 
Dolce & Gabanna and Erdem because they are so feminine. Dominic Jones is a friend of mine and I love his jewelry.
Favorite film?
Brief Encounter. I’m such a romantic, and it’s beautiful and it’s sad, so sad. I recently saw a production in the West End, and it was by my favourite production company called ‘Knee High’ and even that was amazing.
Ultimate duet partner? 
Frank Sinatra, because he’s sexy and he’s got the best timing.





No comments:

Post a Comment