Wednesday 13 February 2013

OUGD406 - Live Brief : Geometric

After researching Jessie Ware I have found that she wears a lot of geometric shaped jewellery. Using this as a starting point I have looked into different geometric patterns and images.

Printable Valentine's Day Gift Wrap by Mini-eco


If I was to create a pattern for my vinyl covers I would think it would look similar to this design. I like the simplicity of these images whilst they also look quite complex. I favour grids and neat design which makes this piece of design very appealing to me. 

geometric


I had not planned on working in colour for this brief as I do not think it fits in well with the artist. However, if I were to use colour I think I would use pastel colours and play around with the opacity of geometric shapes like this design above. 

DIY geometric clay tags


As the rules for using pre-existing images are quite strict for this brief I have to explore the avenue of drawing my images by hand. I have a great appreciation for hand drawn illustration though I do feel that it is not one of my strengths. I came across this design and felt that it made good use of hand drawn geometric shapes.



geometric

geometrics
Source
Patterns such as the two above I think are visually pleasing but maybe more so when a texture is added (similarly to the second image) Personally I do not favour strong block colours which are placed next to each other as I find them over powering and harsh. The second image, I think, is more interesting as it incorporates a texture into the pattern and also uses a smaller range of colours.



Tutorial: Textured abstract geometric design


I think adding an area of negative space between a colour increases the legibility of a colour and also a pattern. Something similar to this could work very well within this brief and could also be quite interesting at different scales. 


geometric


Similarly to my previous comment regarding hand drawn illustration I think this geometric design would work really well within the brief. I would not create my illustrations by hand as I feel I would possibly drop marks as my work would not be consistent.

Add a little geometric flare to your dinnerware!


I do not necessarily want to use colour in my designs but I am open to the idea of using a splash of colour similar to this design. Jessie Ware does not usually wear colour but in some instances she does. I think if I was to use colour I would have to look into the shapes and images I could take from her styling and accessories. 

geometric


Filling in some of the geometric shapes with colour would be another interesting way to use colour within this design brief. I have chosen this design for these reasons. I like some of the use of colour within this design though I feel some of it is questionable. 

geometric


I do prefer simple illustration which is not always perfectly proportioned. I like the designs above but I feel they could be too intricate for the type of cover I am aiming to create.

Geometric


If I were to create my own geometric shapes and images I would need to use graph paper in order for my drawings to be of a higher standard. I would like to experiment with this and get feedback from my peers.


No comments:

Post a Comment