Tuesday 6 May 2014

OUGD501: Context of Practice - Practical (Making the Infographic)

____

The infographic:

I am creating an information graphic to show the results from my activity book. I want to ensure that my infographic links to my essay for synthesis. I thought that using the London Underground map to create 













After I had selected each line individually I looked closely at each and make my own line that would work for my information graphic.


The design I came up with looked like this. I used the Bakerloo Line as the spine of my infographic and then took segments of the Central, Northern, Jubilee and Piccadilly line to create the different spin offs. I am very happy with the final result and I think that the link to the Underground map will ensure synthesis throughout the project. 


Adding the subject matters as the end destinations. I want to create my information graphic to almost mirror the tube map, I want the readers to feel that they are going on a journey through type and image in wayfinding, I set each subject matter as an end destination for each line and the final destination is the Type, Image and Type and Image.


I wanted to add a way for readers to refer straight back to the activity book so I included some small images from the book, this allowed me to think of each symbol and sign as a station on the way to a destination. 



After adding all of the symbols I was not sure about the colour of the line, I altered this to be navy blue so that it had a much less garish appearance. 



Adding results:

After collecting my results I was able to calculate the percentages and create a smaller information graphic to show the results of the activity book. I chose to keep these very simple in rectangle format, I did this to ensure that the reader can easily decipher the results. The colour I used was in keeping with my website though I do think that it does clash with the navy blue of the line. 



I chose to change these colours to a light grey, this fits with my publication cover and also looks quite friendly and easy to read.  





____

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome of this information graphic, I am confident that the design is in keeping with the rest of my project and also the subject matter I have covered. I have chosen to leave the final result open for people to choose for themselves. I also believe that I have not tested enough people to be able to make a definitive answer of what would be better. I have my own personal opinion but I cannot speak for other people.




No comments:

Post a Comment