Thursday 1 May 2014

OUGD501: Context of Practice 2 - Practical (Making the activity book)

____

The activity book:

I am creating an activity book based on the content of my essay. I want to make the booklet to a realistic standard, this includes stock, binding and size. 

__

Choosing a stock:

I want to use an uncoated stock that resembles an old colouring book for children. I think that this would allow my book to be produced as cheaply as possible. I selected 6 samples of stock from the library. 


The chosen stock:

I am printing the cover on Pearl Grey as it is heavier than the content stock. The content will be printed onto Bulky Newsprint. I have chosen these stock's because I think that the link best to the colouring book. 



__

Binding method:

I looked at some examples of binding from books that I had in my room:

Spiral bound:


Open perfect binding:



Saddle stitched - staples:




Unbound - individual cards:




__

I think that saddle stitch staple is the best way to bind my book as it will also be the most cost effective and also suitable for the function of the book.

____

Size:

I am going to design my activity book at A5 scale. This allows me to print onto A4 paper and is also a good size to put all of my information onto it. 

____

The grid:



__

Adding content:

First I have to decide on what content my book needs:


Now that I have the content in order I need to design the imagery for the inside. I can find some really good examples of the icons online but I want to draw them for myself.

Icons:
































__


Putting the icons together with the written content:

















____

The final printed book:



____

The issuu document:





No comments:

Post a Comment